Replacing Your Important Papers

Not only were Colorado homes damaged by the recent severe storms, flooding, landslides or mudslides, but many survivors also lost valuable personal documents. The documents include everything from Social Security cards to driver licenses to credit cards.

The following is a partial list of ways to get duplicates of destroyed or missing documents:

  • Birth and Death Certificates – Birth and death certificates can be replaced by visiting your county vital records office or on line
  • Marriage Certificates – The online link for replacement of marriage certificates is
  • Marriage Dissolutions (divorces) – The online link for divorce decree replacements is
  • Adoption Decrees – The Colorado District Courts link for adoption records - if the adoption was finalized in Colorado - is
  • Immigration Documents – Contact your county office or the site below for citizenship, immigration, permanent resident card (green card), employment authorization, re-entry permit and more.
  • Driver Licenses – Visit any Colorado driver license office with acceptable identification and proof of address. Fee required.
  • Vehicle Registration, License Tab or Title – Contact your county motor vehicle office. You will need proof of insurance and Colorado vehicle emissions. Fees administered by county.
  • Passport – Complete form DS-64 from
  • Military Records – Request Standard Form 180 (SF-180) from any office of the Veterans Administration, American Legion, VFW or Red Cross, or download from
  • Mortgage Papers – Contact your lending institution
  • Property Deeds – Contact the recorder’s office in the county where the property is located
  • Insurance Policies – Contact the insurance company for replacement papers
  • Social Security Card – Go to a Social Security Administration office. You also can request a copy of your Social Security statement online
  • Transcript of Your Tax Return – Call nearest Treasury Department office, IRS office or 800-829-3646; request form 4506. To find your local IRS office, go to
  • Savings Bonds/Notes – Complete Form PDF 1048 (Claim for Lost, Stolen or Destroyed U.S. Savings Bonds); available by calling 304-480-6112 or at
  • Credit Cards – American Express, 800-528-4800; Discover, 800-347-2683; MasterCard, 800-622-7747; Visa, 800-847-2911