NFIP Proof of Loss Claims Due By Nov. 14

National Flood Insurance policyholders whose homes or other structures were damaged by flooding have until November 14, 2013, to file claims for their losses.

A Proof of Loss form includes detailed estimates of the cost to replace or repair damaged property.

Proof of loss substantiates the damage claim and is required before the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) can make payment. File damage claims with your NFIP insurance company and work with your adjuster to get the proof of loss forms.

If owners notice additional damage to buildings or property, they can file supplemental claims. To do this, immediately notify the insurance adjuster, document the newly discovered damage, then repeat the documentation and filing process used on the original claim. Owners are urged to keep a copy of this packet.

Policy owners who would like to speak to someone in person regarding their claim are urged to go to their local Disaster Recovery Center where staff members are available to provide assistance. To find the DRC closest to you, go to

For more information about flood insurance, go to

Register with FEMA by phone: 800-621-3362 or online at: Multilingual phone operators are available on the FEMA helpline. Choose Option 2 for Spanish and Option 3 for other languages.

People who have a speech disability or are deaf or hard of hearing may call (TTY) 800-462-7585; users of 711 or Video Relay Service can call 800-621-3362.

Register by Web-enabled device, tablet or smartphone: type in the browser.