State Emergency Operations Center Activated to Support Counties Hit by TornadoesThe State EOC was activated at 3:00 a.m. to support the three counties in southeastern Colorado hit by tornadoes overnight. DEM Field Managers are currently working with the emergency managers in the affected areas to assess the areas for damages and potential needs.
Current information can be obtained by following Kiowa County Division of Emergency Management @kcdem on Twitter or on their website at http://www.kcdem.info/.
The State EOC has received the following information:
- The tornado actually was on the ground from Baca County through Prowers County, Kiowa County, and ended in Kit Carson County.
- All local first responders are out in the storm track area assessing damage and needs.
- Still a total of two injured people transported to the hospital.
- 10 damaged structures (5 in Prowers, 4 in Kiowa, 1 in Bent)
- 400' radio tower south of Lamar damaged (light and power communications tower)
- Power is out in Lamar, in Kiowa County in Eads and Chivington, Brandon, and Sheridan Lake, in Bent County in Hasty and McClave
- There are currently no shelters activated
- There is no reported damage to highways
Updates will be posted as reports are received from the Field Managers.