Colorado OEM Working to Identify Private Non-Profit Organizations and Local Governments Eligible for FEMA Disaster Aid for Royal Gorge Fire and Black Forest Fire


July 30, 2013

Media Contact:  Micki Trost, Public Information Officer,, Cell:  303-472-4087

Colorado Office of Emergency Management Working to Identify Private Non-Profit Organizations and Local Governments Eligible for FEMA Disaster Aid

DENVER – Tuesday, July 30, 2013 – The Colorado Office of Emergency Management is working to identify private non-profit organizations and local governments that may be eligible for disaster aid as a result of the Presidential disaster declarations for the Black Forest Wildfire in El Paso County and the Royal Gorge Wildfire in Fremont County.  On July 26, President Barack Obama signed two major disaster declarations making disaster assistance available to state and local government agencies and some private non-profit organizations in Colorado.  A Fire Management Assistance Grant Program specialist from FEMA will be available to answer questions at the public assistance briefings.

Private non-profit organizations in El Paso and Fremont counties that suffered damage or incurred costs of at least $1,000 from Black Forest and Royal Gorge Wildfires are encouraged to contact the Colorado Office of Emergency Management at 720-852-6697 for potential referral to the Federal Emergency Management Agency Public Assistance Program and/or attend an Applicant Briefing to be held in each County:

Royal Gorge Fire (DR-4133) Public Assistance Applicant Briefing
Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 10 a.m.
County Administration Building – Room 207
615 Macon Avenue
Canon City, CO  81212

Black Forest Fire (DR-4134) Public Assistance Applicant Briefing
Friday, August 2, 2013 at 10 a.m.
El Paso County - Charles “Chuck” C. Brown Transportation and Environmental Complex
Training Room West
3275 Akers Drive
Colorado Springs, CO  80922

Private non-profit organizations or institutions that own or operate facilities that are open to the general public and that provide certain services otherwise performed by a government agency may be eligible for Public Assistance. These services include:
  • Education
o   Colleges and universities
o   Parochial and other private schools  

  • Public Utilities
    • Systems of energy
    • Communication
    • Water supply
    • Sewage collection and treatment
    • Other similar public service facilities    

  • Emergency
    • Fire protection
    • Ambulance
    • Rescue
    • Similar emergency service

  • Medical
    • Hospital
    • Outpatient facility
    • Rehabilitation facility
    • Facility for long-term care for mental or physical injury or disease

  • Custodial Care

  • Homes for the elderly and similar facilities that provide institutional care for persons who require close supervision, but do not require day-to-day medical car

  • Other Essential Governmental Services

  • Museums, zoos, community centers, libraries, homeless shelters, senior citizen centers, rehabilitation facilities, shelter workshops and facilities that provide health and safety services of a governmental nature

  • Health and safety services are essential services that are commonly provided by all local governments and directly affect the health and safety of individual

  • Low-income housing, alcohol and drug rehabilitation, programs for battered spouses, transportation to medical facilities, and food programs are examples of health services