The United States Fire Administration’s (USFA) National Fire Academy (NFA), just announced it is conducting a pilot course at the National Emergency Training Center (NETC) in Emmitsburg, Maryland for a 6-day course Hazardous Materials / Special Operations Program Management pilot course (P254).
According to the notice, the Hazardous Materials / Special Operations Program Management course is designed to guide students in gaining and sharing the knowledge, skills and abilities to effectively develop, manage and lead hazardous materials and/or other specific all hazards special operations response capabilities involved in specialized emergency response, including:
· Identification of special operations components.
· Identification of the inter-relationships between each discipline and then demonstrate how the manager balances the influences of diverse components.
· Manage all related disciplines under the same operational procedures.
· Balancing the “spider web” with understanding all the unique internal and external demands and influences.
Student Selection Criteria: Hazardous Materials / Special Operations Teams coordinators, managers, and personnel aspiring to become coordinators and managers, Personnel responsible for training, equipping, and sustaining specialized response resources, Personnel responsible for the supervision or leadership of a hazardous materials or special operations team or company.
The notice indicates that the class prerequisites include ICS 100 level and ICS 200 level training. Preferred courses are Q462 and Q463 available through NFA Online at http://www.nfaonline.dhs.gov/. Chief's signature attests that the applicant has completed this required training.
How to Apply: Students must complete a General Admissions Application (FEMA Form 75-5). An electronic application is available on the NFA's website at: http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/nfa/about/attend/apply.shtm
Completed applications must be postmarked by March 1, 2010 and sent to:
NETC Admissions Office
Building I, Room 216
16825 S. Seton Avenue
Emmitsburg, MD 21727
· Completed applications may also be faxed to the Admissions Office at (301) 447-1441.