So... what do you do about high winds? Actually, we can take the same safety precautions most often identified for tornado (and hurricaine) safety and use it in response to high wind threats. For example:
- Stay in an interior room or basement of your house/business. Interestingly, according to high wind preparedness experts, garage doors are often the first feature in a home to fail due to high winds.
- Avoid windows.
- Do not remain in light or poorly constructed structures that may be subject to blow down or collapse.
- Stay out of structures with wide, free-span roofs like auditoriums and gyms.
- Secure or move indoors all items which could become projectiles.
- Avoid areas/structures immediately subject to tree/branch falls (special note: pine beetle-kill forest areas are uniquely subject to blow-down due to dried or damaged root systems).