News release from Gregg Goodland, Public Information Officer, 720-336-8297
(fire information line)
Eightmile Fire 2:00 PM Update
The Eightmile Fire, approximately 6 miles northeast of Cañon City, is being managed with a Confine/Contain strategy. Friday, firefighters report the following:
Read official news release
- Estimated size is now 100 acres.
- Fire activity remains at very active this afternoon. Warmer temperatures, lower humidity and wind have increased fire behavior.
- Phantom Canyon road remains closed between mile markers 8 and 12.
- Currently, there are no pre-evacuation or evacuation orders.
- Smoke will continue to be visible from greater distances today, including Cañon City, Pueblo and Colorado Springs.
- There are currently 35 resources assigned to the fire. Four 20-person Hotshot crews and a Type 2 Incident Management Team have been ordered.
- A helicopter, known as a Type 1 helitanker, has been committed to the fire and will be used as needed by the fire crews on the fire. 2 Single Engine Air Tankers are also committed to the fire. Additionally, two heavy air-tankers have been ordered.
- Crews will continue construction of the indirect fire line in strategic locations.
- An on-site media update will be held at 4:00 PM at the intersection State Highway 67 and County Road 123.