Elk Springs Fire
Favorable weather conditions have resulted in low fire activity and much progress being made on the Elk Springs fire. GPS data showed the fire at approximately 450 acres with very minimal growth. Crews will continue to extinguish hot spots and reinforce the perimeter line. The Incident Commander is predicting 90% containment by the end of shift today, July 28th.
Elk Springs Fire:
- Burning on State, private, and Bureau of Land Management lands
- Started 7/26/2014, 3:30 p.m.
- Burning grass, sage, pinon and juniper
- 1.5 miles south of US Highway 40, 1.5 miles southeast of the community of Elk Springs
- Main concerns: the community of Elk Springs, ranch residences and structures, oil and gas facilities, primary sage grouse habitat, and major transmission lines
- No cause yet determined.
The Alkali fire was declared fully contained on July 27th at 9 p.m. Teamwork, partnerships, and cooperation were essential in managing this fire. Working together keeps our responsiveness up and costs down.