RMIIA Offers Sound Advice to Help Residents Prepare and Respond to Disasters

Some important information from Carole Walker, Executive Director of the Rocky Mountain Insurance Information Agency (carole@rmiia.org, 303-790-0216/ Cell:  303-601-8437) regarding actions that residents can take now to help get through a disaster, be it the Fourmile Canyon Wildire, or another incident.

You can read the full release on RMIIA's website at Insurance Advice for Residents in the Path of Boulder County’s Fourmile Canyon Wildfire.  You also get more information on RMIIA's Facebook and YouTube pages.


September 7, 2010 –As the devastating Fourmile Canyon Fire continues to burn out of control this morning near Boulder, residents evacuated as a result of the blaze need to contact their insurance agents or company representatives immediately to provide them with emergency contact information.  For homeowners or renters who are under a mandatory evacuation order they likely have insurance coverage for “additional living expenses” which provides them with a certain amount of out-of-pocket money under their insurance policy while they are forced out of their homes. 

“Evacuated residents should contact their insurance agent or company representative immediately to let their company know how they can be reached and if they need additional living expenses while they are forced out of their home,” says Carole Walker, Executive Director of the Rocky Mountain Insurance Information Association.  “As residents are allowed to return to their homes, document damage and take photographs to provide to your insurance adjuster.  Be aware that serious losses will take priority over homes that suffered only minor damage.”

An insurance/evacuation checklist and wildfire information:

Download RMIIA’s free Wildfire & Insurance Guide with homeowner disaster preparedness tips:

RMIIA has this insurance advice for homeowners affected by wildfire:

Residents evacuated from their homes should contact their insurance agents or companies immediately and let them know where they can be reached. As adjusters are allowed into the burned-out areas they will want to go in with their policyholders to assess the damage.

Contact your agent or company if you need additional living expenses while you are out of your home.
Keep receipts. Out-of-pocket expenses during a mandatory evacuation are reimbursable under most standard homeowner policies.

Be prepared to give your agent or insurance representative a description of your damage. Your agent will report the loss immediately to your insurance company or a qualified adjuster who will contact you as soon as possible to inspect the damage. Again, be sure to give your agent a number where you can be reached.
Take photos of the damaged areas. These will help with your claims process and will assist the adjuster in the investigation.

Prepare a detailed inventory of all damaged or destroyed personal property. Be sure to make two copies-one for yourself and one for the adjuster. Your list should be as complete as possible, including a description of the items, dates of purchase or approximate age, cost at time of purchase and estimated replacement cost.
Make whatever temporary repairs you can. Cover broken windows, damaged roofs and walls to prevent further destruction. Save receipts for supplies and materials you purchase. Your company will reimburse you for reasonable expenses in making temporary repairs.

Secure a detailed estimate for permanent repairs to your home from a reliable contractor and give it to the adjuster. The estimate should contain the proposed repairs, repair costs and replacement prices.
Serious losses will be given priority. If your home has been destroyed or seriously damaged, your agent will do everything possible to assure that you are given priority.
In case of possible evacuation - only if you have enough warning - consider packing the following items:

Social Security cards
Driver's licenses
Credit cards
House deed
Vehicle titles
Marriage license
Birth Certificates
Insurance policies
Home inventory list/photos
Health insurance cards
Prescription medications
Important personal computer information downloaded to disk
Valuable jewelry
Home videos
Items with sentimental value, such as wedding dress or baby keepsakes
One week ' s worth of clothing
Pets with ID tags, carriers, and pet food
Log on to www.rmiia.org for more information.