This service position is funded through the Corporation for National and Community Service. The Sponsoring Organization for this State-wide initiative is the Governor’s Commission on Community Service in partnership with the Colorado Volunteer Center Network (CVCN).
Assignment Description: Colorado Volunteer Center Network VISTA Member
Position Title: AmeriCorps*VISTA Member – Colorado Volunteer Center Network
Position Type: AmeriCorps*VISTA Volunteer Position; 12-month term of service full-time without regard to a regular schedule
Term of Service: Late August 2011 – Late August 2012
Location: Westminster City Hall,
4800 West 92nd Avenue, Westminster, Colorado 80031
Stipend: $891/month - Per AmeriCorps*VISTA guidelines
Benefits: Medical health coverage; Federal holidays; ten sick/vacation days; travel paid to training; relocation allowance of up to $550; $5,550 education award upon completion, or $1,500 cash stipend upon completion; child care allowance. For benefit & VISTA program details, please visit http://vistacampus.org/mod/book/view.php?id=2093/chapter1.html
Reports To: Colorado Volunteer Center Network VISTA Program Supervisor
The Colorado Volunteer Center Network (CVCN) VISTA member will work to strengthen CVCN’s Disaster Preparedness and Response efforts. Assignments will include outreach on behalf of CVCN, volunteer engagement, training coordination, and expanding previously designed programming, including the Disaster Volunteer Coordination System and Continuity of Operations Training Program. The VISTA member will also work in conjunction with CVCN leadership on special projects to strengthen the network.
Position duties consist of the following:
- Orient new CVCN members and partners on CVCN’s Volunteer Coordination System and Continuity of Operations Training Program.
- Raise awareness of CVCN in Colorado by reaching out to potential CVCN members, local emergency managers, and disaster response agencies.
- Recruit volunteers and coordinate CVCN task teams.
- Ensure CVCN programs have plans and resources in place to be sustainable after VISTA service has ended.
- Attend Emergency Planning Meetings as requested.
- Assist with the continued development of the Colorado Volunteer Center Network.
- Work as a team member, participating in group meetings, retreats, special events, staff development and training opportunities.
- Act as an ambassador for CVCN throughout Colorado and the national community of Volunteer Centers.
- Coordinate training opportunities for CVCN members, partners, and volunteers.
- Work on special projects to strengthen CVCN and its programming.
Requirements for the volunteer position include:
Bachelor’s degree is preferred; however, some college combined with work experience may substitute for a degree.
- Self-directed, highly motivated, reliable, with a results and solution oriented perspective, organized, flexible with strong time-management skills.
- Computer proficient, including experience with Windows and related MS computer software.
- Excellent written and oral communication, facilitation and public speaking skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, team-oriented, enjoy working with others.
- Demonstration of the highest standards of professionalism, personal initiative and integrity.
- Exceptional attention to detail and commitment to high-quality work.
- Passion for and commitment to volunteerism.
- Demonstrated interest in emergency preparedness/response and knowledge of nonprofit dynamics.
- Background check, valid driver’s license, clean driving record, reliable transportation.
- Travel expected to Boulder, Colorado Springs, Denver Metro Area, Fort Collins, Greeley, Routt County, and other areas of Colorado as necessary.
Application Deadline: Applications must be received no later than 5:00pm on June 30th.
Interviews will take place July 5th – July 7th.
The position start date will be August 22nd, 2011.
Please mail or email a resume, cover letter and three references to:
Colorado Volunteer Center Network
1355 S. Colorado Blvd., Suite C-601
Denver, CO 80222
Please note that this is an AmeriCorps*VISTA volunteer position, with a living allowance stipend. VISTA is a unique national service program and not traditional employment. Please review the VISTA Handbook (link above) prior to applying.