Public Information Officer
Fatal Fire in Haswell Under Investigation
Haswell, Colo. –Dec. 14, 2015 – Multiple fire departments responded to a fully engulfed home at 4 a.m. today. Initial reports of an adult male inside the home were confirmed as a fatality. The home is located in the 100 block of South Main Street and is a total loss. The identity of the adult male has not been confirmed. The Colorado Bureau of Investigation arson investigator is at the home to assist with the investigation. The fire remains under investigation.
Multiple fire departments responded to the fire including Kiowa County Sheriff's Office, Eads Fire Department, Haswell Fire Department, Las Animas Fire Department and Crowley County Fire Department. The Kiowa County Coroner responded and has not positively identified the body yet.
The Kiowa County Sheriff’s Office reminds everyone to use space heaters safely in their homes this winter. Follow these National Fire Protection Association space heater safety tips:
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet away from the space heater.
- Never use a space heater to heat your home.
- Remember to turn space heaters off when leaving a room or your home.
Updates on this incident will be posted to the Kiowa Sheriff Facebook account at https://www.facebook.com/kiowacountysheriffcolorado/?fref=ts and Twitter Account at https://twitter.com/KCSOSheridan